This shall be a brief post of 2 parts, the first sweet, the second bitter.
To start with I have completed the build and first flights. The photo below is just after completion and ready to take to the air. I very happy with how it has come together. Admittedly there are a couple of problems and mistakes to address but for a first iteration I am very happy with it.
Here the 215 Hopper can be seen airbourne on its first battery. Admittedly, the very first hover attempt was a complete failure as I had the motor connections mixed up side to side. After correcting that issue a successful hover test was completed indoors. I was immediately struck by how much more stable it was that its predecessor, the Spidex 220, and that right there was the main reason for starting this project. Success!
I have not yet mounted it but in the future I will fly a GoPro session with this platform looking something like this:
Now for the bitter part. On just the 5th battery I lost the 215 Hopper. I am not going to try and make excuses, I got a little too far away, that’s not very far for something this small and fast, orientation became difficult. Before I knew it and before I could regain my composure the 215 Hopper was but a small speck high in the sky and a long way away. The signal began failing so I reduced the throttle to try and bring it down gently, more out of concern for where it might land than to protect the copter itself. Evently the signal was lost. I did a few laps of the neighbourhood but my chances of finding it were slim. Most disappointing was that it likely came down over a residential area. I always like to think that I am responsible with where and how I fly and am aware of my surroundings but today I let the community down. I can only hope that it hasn’t caused any damage or injury.
If you have found the 215 Hopper (this is the only one in the world) in the Fairy Meadow/Wollongong area then please drop me a line via the contact page.